BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, January 7, 2010

I found Nelly yesterday...

Well, his music and videos at least... I thought he fell off the face of the earth, but apparently he still gets played here in Ghana!

Anywho, I remember telling many of you before I left that my trip to Ghana didn't feel real yet. I still couldn't believe it was going to happen. By the time I got on my first flight to Amsterdam, the trip felt 1/3 real, 1/3 surreal, and 1/3 say whaaaaat???? By the time I got on the second flight to Accra, it felt... well, I was a bit too tired to feel anything, but when I stepped off the plane and into the antithesis of Pittsburgh winter, the last 2/3 of reality began to set in...

Both of flights were pretty pleasant. I didn't sleep much (when do I ever?), but I sat a decent distance away from crying babies, I was never sandwiched between anyone, and I had enough leg room. After going through customs and everything, I was greated by some family friends, the Kyei-Manus, as well as my Uncle Kwasi and my cousin Abi. We drove over to my Auntie Theresa's house where I stayed the first few days. Out of my family here that I've talked to thus far, Auntie Theresa seems the most excited about my coming to Ghana. She wouldn't let me do anything for myself while I stayed at her house, haha. If anyone else did anything for me and she didn't think it was perfect, she wasn't a happy camper... which makes me feel better about the corned beef I ate the first night (it didn't sit so well after 10 beef-free years). She also had someone take my measurements for me this morning. I think he's making me a a dress. I have no idea what the fabric looks like or what the dress will look like, but I'm sure I'll like it!

The first day at the house, I just stayed inside and rested. My auntie Mary came over with two of my second cousins or first cousins once removed... I'm horrible with the terminology! Jojo is about nine months old and adorable! I thought he was really quiet at first, but he proved me wrong very quickly. Aso is about 6 or 7. She was also quiet at first, but by the early evening, we were laughing, dancing, and having an hour long photo shoot in the living room. It was fun!

Today, My cousin Afia came over to braid my hair. She refuses to speak to me in English or answer me when I ask her questions in English, haha. She had to repeat most phrases in Twi about 10 times before I finally figured out what she was saying. It was a little frustrating, but I can tell I'm starting to pick it up... I'm gonna try my best to keep it up! The family thinks by the end of the month I should be fluent, haha... I only hope so!

Right now, I'm at the Kyei-Manus' house near the University of Ghana campus. We drove through campus on the way here. It's very different from campuses at home, as you'll all see when I can get some pictures up. And it's HUGE! I leave for orientation tomorrow, and then on the 13th, I'll be off to campus for the semester. I can't wait to get started!

Hopefully, I'll have some pictures up for yous guys in a week's time once I figure out my regular internet situation. Until then, I'll keep you posted when I can! :-)

4 comments:

  1. LOL I heard two Nelly songs on the radio yesterday and was blown away, since I haven't heard him in forever! Maybe my radio station has a Ghana link. :P

    PS: The night you left, I had a dream that you and I and other people from King took a private jet to go to Ghana. It was exciting. :P

    Can't wait to see how the dress turns out! Post lots of pics! :D

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did she see the blog? Maybe the dress will match the blog! If that happens, don't sit too close to the computer screen, people will lose you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so glad to hear nana is safely in ghana! by the way, that photo up there is fi-erce. i miss you incredibly. your room is so empty (though diana sleeps in the bed sometimes). the couch is void of your presence in the early morn. i eat breakfast and talk to your imaginary self, though this problem could be fixed if we enlarged a picture of your face and put it on the wall...

    you have braids now! can't wait to see your photos! we'll talk soon <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nana I'm so excited! I love you!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete